A Security and Maintenance Release for WordPress was released today and all hosted customers have been updated already. Below you will find information about this release as well as the full post here.
WordPress versions 4.7.2 and earlier are affected by six security issues:
- Cross-site scripting (XSS) via media file metadata. Reported by Chris Andrè Dale, Yorick Koster, and Simon P. Briggs.
- Control characters can trick redirect URL validation. Reported by Daniel Chatfield.
- Unintended files can be deleted by administrators using the plugin deletion functionality. Reported by xuliang.
- Cross-site scripting (XSS) via video URL in YouTube embeds. Reported by Daniel Cid.
- Cross-site scripting (XSS) via taxonomy term names. Reported by Delta.
- Cross-site request forgery (CSRF) in Press This leading to excessive use of server resources. Reported by Sipke Mellema.
Thank you to the reporters for practicing responsible disclosure.